2014, 2015 and 2018 Juno Nominee and U.K Songwriting Contest winner Alysha Brilla is a critically acclaimed singer, songwriter and producer. She is Tanzanian-Canadian of the Indian diaspora. Her second full length album “Womyn” was released Sept 2014 and the title track was CBC Radio Song Of The Week. She plays guitar, piano and djembe, creating a unique original soul-folk sound which has been featured on stages internationally. WOMYN is the follow up to her Juno Nominated debut album, “In My Head“. The music video for her Swahili-infused song, “Nobody”, won the 2013 Ibiza Music Video Festival Fan Choice Award. Brilla’s music has been featured on major network television shows such as “King” and “Degrassi; the Next Generation”. Brilla performs live internationally.
“Alysha Brilla rocked every single stage she performed on! She was one of our Top 4 merch sellers at the festival and it’s clear that she loves what she does. Alysha Brilla lights up the stage with smart sexy pop music played with passion & precision.” James Keelaghan, Artistic Director – Summerfolk Festival
Brilla’s past collaborations include: Tony Kanal (No Doubt), Justin Nozuka and Eon Sinclair (Bedouin Soundclash). Brilla’s music has been featured on television shows including: Lifted which aired on CTV’s show Degrassi: The Next Generation, Pearl which aired on CTV’s Seed, and Crown of Flameswhich was featured on Showcase Network’s television series King. U.K. award-winning multidisciplinary artist Luke Jerram featured Alysha Brilla playing his installation street piano in Toronto for his international art piece, “Play Me, I’m Yours”.
No stranger to touring, Alysha has played across Canada and the United States under her own name and within various bands and ensembles. These opportunities have provided her with opening for Juno award winner K-OS and include performances at The Montreal International Jazz Festival, The Mariposa Folk Festival, The L.A. Angel City Music Festival, The Kitchener Blues Festival , Stratford Blues Festival, Oakville Jazz Festival, Summerfolk Festival, Stewart Park Festival, CBC Metro Morning Live, TEDxYouth Waterloo, The KW Multi-Cultural Festival and Dalhousie University.
Alysha Brilla has received many awards and recognitions over the past ten years, including: 2013 CBC Radio Searchlight Regional Finalist, 2012 Leading Edge Arts Award Winner (Waterloo Region Arts Council), 2009 Toronto Blues Society’s TOP 3 Artists, 2008 Youth Legacy Award (Grand River Blues Society), 2008 91.5 The Beat contest and 2005 Canwest Media’s “Rhythm Of The Future” Winner.
Some of Brilla’s media appearances include: CBC Metro Morning, CBC Here and Now, CBC Sounds of the Season, Rogers Daytime, and Omni Television’s “V-MIX” feature
Awards & Nominations:
- 2015 Juno Nominee Adult Contemporary Album of The Year, “Womyn”
- 2015 Anokhi South Asian Media Best Music Artist Winner
- 2015 U.K. International Songwriting Contest Winner
- 2015 International Songwriting Competition Semifinalist
- 2015 Song “Immigrant” featured as Song of the Day in the U.K’s “Record of The Day”
- 2014 CBC Music Awards, Rising Star Shortlist
- 2014 Oktoberfest Woman Of The Year Arts & Culture Award Winner
- 2014 Juno Award Nominee Adult Contemporary Album of The Year, “In My Head”
- 2014 U.K. Songwriting Contest Semi-Finalist
- 2014 Galaxy Rising Star Award Winner, Burlington Sound Of Music Festival
- 2013 Ibiza Music Video Festival Fan Choice Award Winner, “Nobody”
- 2012 Leading Edge Arts Award Winner
- 2011 Oktoberfest Woman of The Year Arts & Culture Award Nominee
- 2008 Canwest Media Rhythm of The Future Winner
- 2007 Youth Legacy Award Winner